Your smile is the first thing someone notices about you. People form their first impressions based on the appearance of your smile. There was a time when, unless you made a lot of money or were born with perfect teeth, that you had to live with your smile. Today, a wide range of cosmetic procedures are available to the average citizen, at a cost they can afford. Congress Dental Group offers the following cosmetic treatments:
Dr. Robert Page and Dr. Preetha Chally provide cosmetic dentistry in Boston, Massachusetts, to help you enjoy a more attractive smile. Our cosmetic dentists may:
- Add dental material to teeth or gums – examples: bonding, porcelain veneers (laminates), crowns (caps), gum grafts
- Remove tooth structure or gums – examples: enameloplasty, gingivectomy
- Neither add nor remove dental materials, tooth structure, or gums – examples: teeth whitening (bleaching), gum depigmentation
- Straighten your teeth, treatments accompanied by improvement in appearance of face – Orthodontics
Examples of treatments provided by our cosmetic dentists include:
- Whitening, or “tooth bleaching”, is the most common cosmetic dental procedure in Boston, MA. While many whitening options are now available, including over the counter products, dentist-supervised treatments remain the recommended procedures for lightening discolored teeth.
- Teeth reshaping (sculpting) and bonding performed in one office visit.
- Tooth reshaping removes parts of the enamel to improve the appearance of the tooth. It may be used to correct a small chip, or to alter the length, shape, or position of teeth; it can be used to correct crooked or excessively long teeth. The removed enamel is irreplaceable and may sometimes expose dentin. It is also known as enameloplasty, odontoplasty, contouring, recontouring, slenderizing, stripping, or sculpting. This procedure offers fast results and can even be a substitute for braces under certain circumstances
- Bonding is a process in which an enamel-like dental composite material is applied to a tooth’s surface, sculpted into shape, hardened, and then polished.
- Dental bridges are false teeth, known as a pontics, which are fused between two porcelain crowns to fill in areas left by missing teeth. Two crowns hold it in place, these are attached to adjacent sides of the false tooth. This is known as a fixed bridge. This procedure is used to replace one or more missing teeth. Fixed bridges cannot be taken out in the same way that partial dentures can. In areas of the mouth that are under less stress, such as the front teeth, a cantilever bridge may be used. Cantilever bridges are used when there are teeth on only one side of the open space. Bridges can reduce the risk of gum disease, help correct some bite issues, and even improve your speech. Bridges require commitment to serious oral hygiene, but may last up to ten years or more.
- Veneers are ultra-thin, custom-made porcelain laminates that are bonded directly to the teeth. They are an option for closing gaps or disguising discolored teeth that do not respond well to whitening procedures. Depending on the procedure, tooth reduction may be necessary.
- Gum lift is a cosmetic dental procedure that raises and sculpts the gum line. The procedure involves reshaping the tissue and/or underlying bones to create the appearance of longer or more symmetrical teeth.
- Bite Reclamation: Patients who have had years of excessive wear to their teeth due to grinding or acid reflux can alter their vertical dimension. This gives them a closed or shorter look to their face and smile. By opening up their bite, a qualified professional can reclaim their vertical dimension and sometimes even remove unwanted wrinkles as well.
If you are unhappy with your smile, please contact our office at 617-574-8700 to schedule your consultation with our dentists. We will be happy to discuss your options with you.